When evaluating criminal background checks for potential volunteers, persons will not be permitted to volunteer for our district if the following charges appear:
- Felony convictions within the last 10 years.
- Misdemeanor convictions within the last five years.
- Any charge currently pending.
- Any misrepresentation of the volunteer application.
- Any other charge or conviction not mentioned above, but determined to be a risk to students.
Volunteer criminal background checks are evaluated on charges filed, not the disposition of the charges.
If a volunteer is not permitted to volunteer in our schools due to pending charges, the volunteer’s status will be re-evaluated once the charges have been resolved.
Criminal background checks for volunteers are valid for one year. Each year volunteers will be required to complete a new volunteer request form, then the status as a volunteer will be re-evaluated.
The following are a few examples, not an inclusive list, when a volunteer criminal background check is required.
Volunteer criminal background checks are required for:
- Assisting with class parties.
- Assisting school staff in the classroom or school building.
- Attending field trips.
Volunteer criminal background checks are NOT required for:
- Attending meet the teacher night, family events, school musical or awards programs.
- Attending extra-curricular or other school-sponsored events as a spectator.
- Attending the school book fair.