The administrative team of Bell Intermediate Academy believes that the focus of our school is to do whatever it takes to help each student reach his or her highest potential. It is our belief that discipline must originate within the classroom setting. It is our responsibility collectively to engage in active supervision of our students in a variety of settings within our learning environment. This includes cafeteria duty, bus duty, hallway supervision, drills, and monitoring students’ behavior at convocations.
Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS):
Bell Intermediate Academy utilizes a Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports program. The goal of this program is to create a safe and respectful learning environment, maximize instructional time to increase student learning, and guide and support expected behaviors for varying situations.
Through positive behavior supports, the staff will recognize the good behaviors the students display on a regular basis. When students are rewarded, they will have the opportunity to choose different incentives during the year. Many of these incentives provide students with added freedoms that others won’t have.
PBIS Incentives and Behavior
Students will demonstrate the core values of Bell Intermediate Academy.
- Students will earn BELL Bucks by demonstrating behavior that represents the core values defined in the behavior matrix. Staff members use the
- BELL Bucks to reinforce appropriate behaviors.
- During the first few weeks of school, BELL Bucks should be used frequently.
- BELL Bucks will be used to communicate the importance of core values, while reinforcing positive behaviors.
- Students can earn BELL Bucks from any staff member throughout the building during the school day.
- Students will use BELL Bucks to purchase rewards. BELL Bucks will be the mainstay of the behavior reinforcement plan.
- The staff will develop many ways to incorporate the BELL Bucks into both immediate and long-term reinforcements.
- Students will spend BELL Bucks like money. Students will be able to use their BELL Bucks to purchase a variety of items and to gain access to various activities and reward opportunities.
- Teams will be able to determine how they want to integrate the bucks into team rewards. This will allow teams to align BELL Bucks with team goals and dynamics.
- As the program develops, a database of ideas and activities will be developed and made accessible for all staff members.
- It is an expectation that all staff members utilize the BELL Bucks reward system and distribute BELL Bucks to worthy students regularly.